SCQF Level: 7
Mode of Study: Part time/Full time
Length of Study: 1 year (full time)
Entry Requirements: Please see entry requirements page
Aims of course
- Prepare candidates for employment as engineering technicians in the construction engineering industry.
- Provide candidates with a range of contemporary vocational skills utilising modern equipment and techniques available for surveying, setting out, monitoring quality.
- Testing, detailing, fixings and interfaces thus enabling candidates to make an immediate contribution in their role as engineering technicians.
- Provide a choice of optional Units that will allow candidates to develop in other areas relevant to future employment in structural or civil engineering, or progression via an HND in Civil Engineering.
- Enable candidates to achieve appropriate professional body recognition, in particular but not exclusively, the Chartered Institute of Building, the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers.
At least 12 credits including all the mandatory units
CAD 2D 1
Construction Technical Communication Skills
Health and Safety in Construction
Mathematics for Construction
Construction Materials and Specification
Civil Engineering and Project Management A
Civil Engineering Technology
Civil Engineering Specialisms
Construction Site Surveying A
HNC Construction Engineering Graded Unit 1
Personal Development Planning
Engineering Materials and Testing
Mathematics for Construction Engineering
After achieving your HNC there are a number of options open to you:
1. Continue to study the HND Civil Engineering at Technical Academy Scotland
(3 additional units from the above table are required)
2. Study another HND elsewhere
3. Enter employment
This will suit the employment requirements of a range of employers including:
- developers, contractors, designers and prefabricators for industrial commercial and housing developments
- those who design, manage, maintain or adapt infrastructure elements such as bridges, railways, roads, water and sewerage installations including consulting civil engineers, civil engineering contractors and the owners/managers of infrastructure components
- those who design, maintain, adapt or manage structures including consulting structural engineers, contractors and the owners/managers of industrial and commercial buildings